Wednesday, March 27, 2013

YMtC 4 - What Color?

Well, it was closer than I expected an Land is down for the count.   The new YMTC is going to be an Enchantment!

Wizards of the Coast wants members of the Magic community to make our own cases for one color option over the others.  Polls will probably open on Monday.   In that time, we need to review what we want to do and try to convince others of our vision.   I'm not fully into one color yet or another, but I think it's important to start thinking about this opportunity.

So let's start talking color!

(Please, before you leave check the bottom of the article...there is a simple request for those of you with Twitter accounts).

Color in Magic is has some very hard and fast rules.   Haste is more red, growth is more green, flying tends to blue, and so on.   While these are more keyword creature abilities, it is important to note that the philosophy extends to enchantments as well.   Colors do bleed into one another, effects often fall into a secondary or even a tertiary color - but many players don't focus as much on that aspect of design.   Only now we have to.

Let's define what an enchantment does first.   It is a card that alters the game state in some way would be perhaps the simplest definition.   An enchantment does so by either altering a card or by altering the rules by conferring bonuses or penalties when actions occur.   Enchantments are permanent effects that remain on the battlefield until they are removed by as state base action or some other condition is met.   This makes enchantments fun and versatile to play, the James Dean of Magic types - essentially they are rule breakers!

So how to we choose what color OUR Enchantment will be?   Well, as it happens I have a few thoughts on that topic.

Blue
No.   Just no.   Please for the love of god and for all that is holy, no.   [Can anyone tell I'm not a huge fan of control decks?].

Now that I have that out of my system, let's look at it this way.   What more can be done?   Blue already is overly powerful at times I think.   Even when it's not, it's annoying to play against.   I won't support a decision to choose a color that will either slow the game down or...well, that's pretty much it.

(This is not an entreaty to have everyone send me their ideas for a killer blue card - I'm simply not a fan of the color, so your efforts will be wasted on the likes of me).

There is a counter-argument though that is running though my head.   There is a little voice saying, "The challenge here is to make something unique and special - which could be VERY fun in blue."   But if someone will lend me some rope, I'll string the little voice up and we can move on in a more interesting direction.

White
White does like its Enchantments.   Perhaps that is reason enough this time to recommend not choosing it.   White already receives enough love.   Although  the idea of another Ethereal Armor type card does set my heart racing a little bit.

Green
Rancor anyone?   Here's another color that loves to enchant.   It can be fun, but I feel this is an area we've been enough recently that there isn't a lot of 'growth' potential here (of course, I'm sure I'll be proven wrong - so in advance I apologize to everyone out there who loves green).

Black
I'd vote for black.   Except for that whole zombies thing.   Zombies are creepy.

If we can all agree here and now that an effect that buffs or supports Zombies is off the table in this discussion, than I will give due consideration to Black.   Until then, I hold my support for this fun color a little bit in reserve.

Red
Here we go.   Timmy is going to tell us why it's FUN to play red and it's cooler and it's fun to burn people...

Actually, I'm not.   I think red offers a point of view though that is worth considering.   Name one Red Enchantment (no fair looking at Gatherer).   When I did this to myself, I did name one or three.   But I couldn't name anything - interesting.   That Red or Jund decks couldn't live without.

Choosing red would be a chance for us to show the developers that there is some value in making respectable yet fun cards to play in this areas.   Well, at least it's something worth considering.   If we went down this path, I think I'd like to see something that creates an interesting card advantage or additional damage for spells.

__________________

What to choose?   Well that is up to you.

If I had to vote today, my first three choices are Red, then White, then maybe Black.   Or Green.   Just NOT BLUE!

But I'm still reading ideas out there and I'm hoping you are as well.

TWITTER
Before you run off there is one thing you should do.   Post in your Twitter feed the current color direction you are leaning towards and why (if you can do it in less than 140 characters).

In fact - why not link back to this article at the same time.   The benefit there is others can get in on the fun as well.   We can all see what kind of traffic is generated and have a chance to convince others to change their minds.

Use the following hashtags:

#teamwhite
#teamblue
#teamred
#teamgreen
#teamblack
#teamundecided


No comments:

Post a Comment