Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Spike by Proxy

I like to write about a variety of topics in the Magic Community.  As things strike my interest, I take to the keyboard to hash out my thoughts.  Sometimes it's easy.  The words flow and paint pictures for me.  Other times, it can feel impossible.  My mood poisons the well, making it difficult to function - let alone find time to write.  This occasion is not one of those times.  I'm thrilled today to recap some of my memories  following GP Philadelphia.

New Friends
We've spoken through email, message boards and Twitter.  But this was the first time to meet some very smart and wonderful ladies that represent Magic at its best.  I was honored to meet Kate (Deck Tease Unofficial Fan Club Co-President), Natalie (Cardboard Nirvana on Tumblr), Jennifer (if you haven't heard of Jennisodes, I'm sorry for your loss), and Erin for the first time.  From the moment I met Erin of The Deck Tease Podcast, I knew I was in good hands - even if I felt a little bit like a fifth wheel given how well they all knew each other already.  I ended my day thinking that all four ladies are just the best, and I can't say enough positive things about them without seeming like a fan boy (I know I came off that way when I asked Erin to sign several items).  I am looking forward to the chance to see them all again, and given that 3 of the 4 are reasonably local, I'm sure I'll see them at upcoming events.

Elmer signed by Marshall
I was also able to speak briefly with Marshal Sutcliffe, of Limited Resources fame.  I was really blown away
by how approachable and friendly he was.  For those that haven't had a chance to talk with him, I encourage you to do so if you get a chance.  Richard Hagon was also on-site doing some consulting.  He was also just as personable as you would imagine.

I did miss a chances to speak with a number of people, but that is one of the problems with only attending one day of a three day event.  At the very least I wanted to meet Adam Styborski (Gathering Magic).  I honestly was unaware Adam was there until after I made it home from the event.  One day I'll get my chance though.



Excellent Judges
Now that I've worked a few events as a Judge Candidate, I feel qualified to state the following.  The judges at the event were outstanding.  Every interaction taken by the Judge staff seemed to be calculated to minimize loss of time to the players and to heighten the experience.  I left the day both amazed and pleased at the quality of the staff hired to work the event.  High fives all around.

XX
It could be just me, but I think that women in general were represented amazingly well at GP Philly.  Yes, I spent some of my time talking with some women who I consider to be important to the Magic Community so I could have a skewed outlook, but I also had a sense that there was a much higher percentage of females in the room and playing then I saw at Eternal Weekend and GP Atlantic City - combined.  I don't know if it was just my imagination - I hope it wasn't.  If it is true, it shows how far the game has come over the past year.  Just on anecdotal evidence, I can state we had at least three women playing in a 2HG event I joined late in the day out of about 50 players.  Strong stuff.

The Ride Home
On our way home, I started a couple of different conversations with Jacob to keep me alert.  It had been a long day and I didn't want to fall asleep at the wheel.  Jacob is my younger son.  He's nearly a teenager so I find his observations to be entertaining.  On an hour long car ride late at night, there's nothing better than getting the opinion of a 12 year old.

When he was done complaining that I knew too many people (he can be a little cynical at times), he started to rib me a bit about my finish in the main event.  And in the last main event we played in, GP Atlantic City.  In fact, he went so far as to say he's won two or three more matches than I have in big events.  He was giving me some serious grief.  Jacob is funny though.  Compared to my older son, who as soon as he got out of diapers would peel paint off the walls with his observations about people's shortcomings, Jacob is almost always good-natured with his teasing.  This occasion was no different.

His teasing did give me a chance to reflect.  The event, travel, parking, food and more wasn't cheap.  For the two of us, my total bill for the day likely approached $200.  There are less expensive ways to spend a day.  I didn't have one regret though.  Even my finishing 2-3 - well, 1-3 if we want to be honest, the last win was because my opponent for my last round simply forgot to drop - didn't dampen my feelings.  I will admit a small amount of tilt over my pool for the main event which included Polukranos, Purphoros, and Nylea and with my final results.  And a small amount of upset was felt on my part over losing out in the 2HG round to a game I thought we had under control early.  And I did lose the last round I entered that day, a Mini-Masters I think I should have won....  

...Wait a second, what was my point?

Even after having a run of bad luck on the day, there was something that made it worthwhile.  Jacob did battle to a 2-3 finish on his own with a pool that was a little puzzling.  He did his best with it, and showed me his fortitude.  He was admittedly a little surly around Marshal Sutcliffe earlier in the day coming off of a loss.  I think most players in his shoes would have felt the same way at the time. His wanting to rub in his combined successes during the ride home told me two things I want to share with you all.

The first is that he wants to win.  Losing hurts, and he really doesn't like the feeling.  I don't view losing the same way he does.  To be honest, personally when I lose a Magic match I almost never tilt and I don't value it in the same way.  He sees it as a way to keep score.  It's obvious he wants the tally to favor him at the end of the day.

The other point, and the more important one for me was that I want to see him win.  There are few things to compare with seeing your child to succeed.  As much as he wants to win, I probably want to see him do so 100 times more.  I love to see him mix it up with an older player with years more experience and win.  I especially love it when he does so by demonstrating a deeper understanding of the game than I have.  When we play at home, I'm constantly trying to help him improve his game by showing him things that I've seen other players do.  Nothing makes me happier than to see him emerge triumphant following a tight match.

I shared my feelings with him on our ride home.  I'm not sure he believes me.  But one day, he'll be sitting in the Top 8 of a PTQ and I'll be strutting around like I just won the Super Bowl.  Maybe then he'll appreciate how much I care how he does.  I may never personally reach the point where I'm a Spike.  When Jacob is playing though, I'm a full-blooded Spike by proxy.

___________________

Reblogs, Retweets, & Mentions of all kinds are appreciated - as an independent writer I'm only read when others like what they see and share with their friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment