Tuesday, December 23, 2014

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things...

It's a magical time of year (pun intended).

Presents are being wrapped.  The tree is going to be up soon - I PROMISE!  And I'm left thinking about what makes Magic the Gathering special to me.  I know that this time of year brings out the 'Top 10' lists in droves.  This isn't one of those articles.

Instead, I want to really highlight the parts of the community I enjoy the most.
________________

I used to drive to work listening to a particular shock jock on Sirius.  Now I load up my smartphone with a few choice podcasts and listen to them during my drive to work.  Magic has obviously improved me for the better.  In no particular order, here are my favorite podcasts:
  • The Deck Tease - Erin Campbell is a little edgy, and seems to land just about every personality in Magic.  She makes me smile every time an episode comes out.  There is no better way to start a Monday.
  • Limited Resources - Marshall and current assorted company break down Limited play in a very accessible manner.  I truly miss Brian Wong, but I know that Marshall will find a new co-host soon.  If you like limited half as much as I do, this has to be on your rotation.
  • JudgeCast - There is only one bad thing about JudgeCast.  It's not the references to Bitty Kitty.  It's not the number of movie references they throw into every episode.  And it's never their special guests.  It's that there is only one episode every two weeks.  If Santa would leave one thing under my tree this year, I'd ask him for weekly episodes in 2015.
I don't think players fully realize how important Judges are to Magic the Gathering.  Next time you interact with one - even if you hate the outcome - say this: thank you.  It can be, "Thank you, but I'd like to appeal your ruling," or "Thank you for your explanation, even though I don't agree."  But it should always start with a thank you.  Judges are compensated for most events they are involved in, but the compensation isn't why they do it (if it was, most would either stay home or play themselves).  Judges are a breed apart who are on their feet all day - often on cement poured floors - simply because they want to help you have a better game.  They deserve your respect, if not your admiration.

I wouldn't play this game if it was 100% digital.  At least, I wouldn't still be playing it 3 years later.  I've made many friends through playing at LGSs and going to events.  The game is incredible, but the social part of it is what keeps me coming back.

Twitter.  Facebook.  Twitch.  Pinterest (or so I've heard).  Tumblr.  If you're reading this, you are already a part of the extended online community who take part in razzing Mark Rosewater about bananas or congratulating the most recent GP winner via Twitter.  And let's not forget the websites offering non-stop updates to their coverage.  I don't have one favorite here, other than to say that lately Matt Tabak's Tumblr feed has been particularly sardonic lately.  If you don't follow him, give it a try.

This past year I made it to several large events.  I love the feel of anticipation, the increased level of competition and the camaraderie.  I have hopes of getting to at least 3 next year.  I'd like to make it to Las Vegas, but I don't see me attending without Jacob.  I priced out flights and when I add in other expenses, I just don't see it happening.  I will be at GP Atlantic City and likely the Eternal Weekend in Philadelphia though, so that's two big events.

I'm a big supporter of local game stores.  I also buy from a few online stores, everything from singles to box product.  But I also started to get more into EDH this year.  Elder Dragon Highlander (or Commander for those so inclined) is not a format that rewards someone like me that has been collecting for 3 years. Let's face it, LGSs and sometimes online stores don't stock that $1 rare or penny common from Futuresight that you need.  I've found that PucaTrade is great for filling that gap.  If you're an EDH player and you're not on PucaTrade, you're doing it wrong.  That, or you have a way more impressive collection than I do.

If you didn't see it before, people in my area lost our local game store last month.  The only thing I have to say here is - support your LGS.  Go there, play, interact, and for the love of all things that is holy, buy some product.  Your LGS is the first stop in the greater, larger world community of Magic.  If you stop at that level, then fine.  But when you step up to play in larger tournaments, you'll be thankful for everything your LGS provided you.

Finding time to watch coverage on weekends can be difficult.  But when I do, I'm always thankful for the knowledge demonstrated by coverage team members.  They all make the game a little more accessible and for that they should be thanked (and this includes all the people who support the actual broadcasters).

Lastly, I have to thank my son, Jacob, for continuing to play and inspire me to do the same.  If he wasn't interested in the game, I'm sure I wouldn't play either.  It's his love for it that drives me to learn more, play better, and find a way to express myself creatively.

Thank you, son.  And thanks to all of you for reading.  See you in 2015!


-Please feel free to add what you enjoy the most about our community in the comments section.

___________________________

Reblogs, Retweets, & Mentions of all kinds are appreciated - as an independent writer I'm only read when others like what they see and share with their friends.

Shameless Plug - Help Make Un-set 3 a Reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment