Monday, January 19, 2015

A New Beginning

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has ever read my blog, used Twitter to talk about it, or offered constructive criticism.  I believe each and every one of you have helped to make me a better writer about Magic.

When I started this blog, I had no expectations.  I just simply wanted to write about experiences with Magic that I thought were interesting.  I felt a need (every once in a while) to complain openly.  I wanted to talk about my son and our relationship through this wonderfully complex game.  And sometimes I just wanted to have some fun.

The funny thing was, it did not take long for some of my stories to gain attention of people I think are important to the industry.  A few pros, a smattering of people at Wizards, and others all made me feel like my voice was important - even when I made missteps.  I had a very early offer to explore writing with a group that I looked up to, but I knew then that I wasn't ready.  Thank you, Heather.

If you were to ask me who I wanted to write for if I could choose anyone, the answer would always be the same.  But that company doesn't offer content...yet.  Maybe one day they will.  I still like to think about what it would be like to work with the person who (aside from my younger son) got me started in Magic.  Nick, I'm always available to you.

Just last week though, I heard about a search for new writers that one of the more exciting content sites was sponsoring.  I was intrigued, as I have reached the point that I want to find a way to grow further as a writer and thought that this would be a great chance to do so.  So I sent in some samples and a link to my blog.  I also did my best to make sure they knew I wasn't the type of person that would write all the time, week in and week out.  I told them some of my story ideas may not always work for them.  I even told them that I was old, had a kid, and liked to collect super-sized pottery sculptures of garden gnomes painted pink to blend in with my collection of flamingos.  Ok, that first and second bit just aren't true.

Try as I might to make myself appear to be someone they may not want, I received an email from their editor last night.  Someone, somewhere, wants me to submit stories to them on a contributory basis.  If I wasn't so tired from drafting triple Fate Reforged (and yes, it's as bad as it sounds), I would have done a little dance.

So I'm leaving this blog to gather dust as I go to work for The Meadery.  Some of you may have already heard about them, either for their great content, moderated forums, or for their unique take on Social Networking.  I'm very excited to have a chance to reach a new audience.  I hope that I'll keep all of you with me as I go.

I promise, I'll still write here as well.  It just won't be as often.  I'll save this space for stories that don't fit with The Meadery's vision.  As I have time, I'll continue to use this space explore the reasons I want to develop a strong relationship with my sons - as most of that I fear would be of little interest to their readers (but we'll see).

This isn't farewell.  I'll continue to use Twitter to post about articles I write wherever they land.  I will expect to see many of you stop by and see me over at my new home.  I'm working on another article as we speak, so I'm hopeful it won't be long before you can read it there.  Until then, play smart and turn your creatures sideways.

Oh, and love your kids.

:)

Charles 'Magic Dad' Featherer


______________________________________

[I already mentioned a few names, but I want to touch on them again along with a few others that have really helped me.  So wherever you are, I want to thank Nick, Heather, Jim, Erin, Tifa, Trevor, Riki, Helene, Mike, Michael, and Ian.  Most importantly, I need to thank Jacob.  Thanks bud, you're the reason I do this.]

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete