Monday, April 15, 2013

YMTC 4 - Rules Text Submissions

Pssst.

Hey!

Yes, you buddy, I'm talking to you.   I've got something for ya.

I know you're not interested in it.   But this is different!   This is my own, special batch.   Just for you.

Sure, you can make your own decisions, you're a big man.   Even big men need some help though.   Just try it one time, I promise it you'll come back for more...

__________________________________

That's enough of that, I'm done being creepy (for now).   Our vast and wonderfully diverse culture has given me glimpses into the seedier sides of life.   Sometimes they bubble to the surface.   In this instance, the malcontents and the dissidents all want us to buy what they are selling.   It doesn't matter if they're selling bad drugs or Magic rules text - it all boils down to the same thing.   Caveat Emptor.

__________________________________

For those of you who missed Latin class, Caveat Emptor translates to mean 'Let the buyer, beware.'   Good advice that we should all heed this week.   We only get one shot at this per person.   I know that I followed my advice from last week.   I have a list of different effects that I want to send in for my submission.   But I won't share them with you.  And I don't want to hear yours either.   I don't want to have buyer's remorse a month from now when the next step of YMTC comes up and my idea is no where to be seen.

I have not gone out and read ever bulletin board discussion, Twitter feed, or blog on this topic.   I want my entry to remain pure.   I want it to be mine.   I want it to be perfect.   Most importantly, I want to have the opportunity to be proud of my submission and know that it's all mine.

Will my submission gain attention from WotC?   Alas, I'm just a Timmy with Johnny aspirations.   But I do know one fact.

I can't get there on someone else's shoulders.   I can't do it by combining two or three ideas I find (others will do that for me).   I won't make it if I slightly modify someone else's brainchild (again, those mysterious others will step in).

There were over 47,000 people that voted in the last round.   The second you offer a semi-unique thought in a public forum on this matter - you're toast.   Instead I'm going to take the advice of Ethan Fleisher.  I'm going to read the 'In the Black' article by Mark Rosewater.  I'll apply it to the concepts I've already written.   I'll try to imagine my idea in different play situations.   (I'd love to have more time to actually build a deck using the text rules I've written, but with a submission deadline of Thursday, there's no way that will happen).

I'm guessing that there will be at least 10,000 unique entries - let's all be adults and admit that people are going to figure out a way to stuff the ballot box a little bit.   Of those entries, if 100 are truly original and push the boundaries that would be wonderful.   I think though that we won't get word until WotC has it down to 10 entries (that's .1 percent).   I'm no statistical genius, but I'm pretty sure people entering this contest have a better chance of making a hole-in-one...twice.

To increase your chances, spend time in front of a blank screen and write down every little dark thought you've ever had about card design.   Read Mark's article.   Check your text against the Gatherer database.   Do a small amount of play testing and user surveys.   Or don't and give me a better chance.

I'm happy either way, but I figured all is fair in this competition.   Remember, Caveat Emptor.


Until next time, good luck!   (Go and make your submissions now...)

No comments:

Post a Comment