Monday, December 23, 2013

2013 Wrap Up, Predictions, and Wishlist

For my last post of the year, I think it important to revisit a few stories that still have some relevance to me, as well spend some time looking forward to next year.  Before we get started though, I have to offer a big thank you to my son Jacob, for dragging me into the world that is Magic the Gathering.  Without him I would have never met some wonderful people, learned about the most amazing game in the known universe, or found a real opportunity to express myself in print.  This has been a great year for me and I have my son to thank for that.  I can only wish that my readers have a chance to develop the same type of relationship with a child, parent, cousin or other family member.  Magic has become our common language.  Mr. Garfield, wherever you are - you are a mage of the first order for having created this wonderful experience that we can share.

For me, 2013 was about two different worlds of Magic.  The first world was about my personal experiences.  Everything from the most trivial - learning about a card interaction - to the most difficult - deciding to work towards becoming a Judge.  My first world was filled with wonder, sometimes daily as I learned one of the most complex yet accessible games I've ever been exposed to.  Kids play it, but true mastery only comes with years of experience.  I yearned regularly not just for new cards but also to understand Magic at a level that many people seem to take for granted.

I started the year privately thinking being a Judge would be a wonderful way for me to become more deeply engaged with the game and community.  As I spent time playing, the thought grew until it wouldn't go away.  Since about halfway through this past year, I've been on a personal quest to become a Judge.  I know others have done it faster, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I'll get there, and when I do I'll do my best to represent the community in a manner that promotes the game, Wizards, and my local stores.

On the other side, I became involved in the larger 'Community'.  I use the capital 'C' here only to emphasize the difference between my local opportunities to play Magic and the national and international Magic communities.  By writing about Magic, even independently, I quickly gained the attention of a broad audience.  With a little help from Twitter and a lot of help from well timed articles supported by some caring Magic community members, I received enough attention and positive reinforcement to keep writing.  If this is the first time you're reading me, I encourage you to go back and take a look at some of my other articles - particularly those that I'll highlight here.

If Wishes Were Horses, Beggars Would Ride
My best writing this year is hard for me to pin down.  Personally what I think of my best achievement had to do with overcrowding at GPs and what I thought could be done to improve them.  Since then, I've learned how far in advance WotC tackles issues.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that they were already considering how preregistration could be improved to prevent surprises the morning an event started.  I still feel a small sense of pride though thinking back to the events that transpired this year, and what effect I may have had on them as a single gamer - especially given how happy most players seem to be with this change.

Looking forward, there are some things I'm hoping for in 2014.  Here are just a few of them:


A Revision to the HoF Voting System
I still think this needs to happen.  Fan involvement is what makes the Community tick.  The selection process and final voting for the Pro Tour Hall of Fame leaves a bitter taste in every fan's mouth for two weeks every year.  Yes, I understand that Pro's put in a tremendous amount of time and energy to get to the point where they are worthy of consideration.  I don't want to devalue that.  But to sit on the sidelines while every relevant conversation about Magic for two weeks straight is about something that has nothing to do with any of us is tough to swallow.  Fans should have a way to contribute meaningfully - even if our total vote value only contributes to a weighted 20% of the final evaluation.  I stand by this position, and I wish other fans of Magic would take up this cry to review and revise the existing system to make it more inclusive.

Develop Community Recognition or...
I'm deeply torn about this next issue.  Part of me very much wants to see several of the changes I wrote about here happen in the next year.  If nothing else, a broader system for recognizing those that make important contributions should be put into place.  But then we read an article like this one - The Day Kibler Shut Down the World by MTG Color Pie - and I know I have to reevaluate my priorities.  What is more important?  After reading Robby's article, if I had to choose between the two changes I'd want his idea to happen.  Even though his article is incomplete, it is easy to gather his intent.  While I don't play on MODO myself, I can see how important a concept like this is to the long term health of Magic as an online commodity.  I think Robby has identified the crux of the problem facing WotC.  His solution, while more complicated than maintaining the status quo is certainly worth consideration.  I hope for the MODO players the world over that his concept or one of a similar ability to improve MODO is considered by WotC.

The Next Un-Set
If 2013 was the year of Modern Masters, Gods, and the revitalization of WotC's support of EDH, then what could 2014 bring?  Aside from a couple of known quantities (crosses fingers for continued EDH support) I predict the next rabbit that will be brought forth from the WotC hat is the long overdue third Un-set.  Unglued was released in 1998.  Unhinged was released in 2004.  Given just that information alone, I'd say we're overdue for the third Un-set by about 4 years.  Add in 2013 was the year that Magic celebrated it's 20th anniversary, I'd say the best way to start off next year would be to announce by April that the next Un-set is on its way before the end of the year.  Call me a hopeless romantic, but I really love the idea of those silver bordered cards and full art lands.

Supplemental Product(s)
I'd like to see a supplemental product in 2014 along the lines of another Planechase set.  Why?  Judging by the popularity of the Game Day event of facing the Hydra for Theros and word of a similar activity for Born of the Gods, team style gameplay seems to be on WotC's mind lately.  It's not a stretch to think that Planechase will be due for an expansion as a result.  If not Planechase, then Archenemy or Vanguard will be highlighted this year (or a new, undisclosed format such as Hoard).

Growth
This one is so easy to predict that I decided to keep the Amazing Kreskin locked up in his room so I could do it myself.

Magic in 2013 saw unprecedented growth.  And if 2013 was good, 2014 will be even better.  Modern has been given a shot in the arm from Modern Masters (I missed the mark on this when I wrote about the inflated cost of it - but I still hold to the principal).  Legacy is alive thanks to continued efforts by SCG and other local play groups.  Add in the excitement we've seen in the RTR block and the wide acclaim of Theros, and you have a recipe for success.  This growth does have an important consideration though that WotC and TO's will need to keep in mind - Professional Players matter.  You don't have to like them, follow them on Twitter, or give them a second thought.  As a fan of Magic, you're allowed your opinion.   Truth is though, they dedicate an obscene amount of time to trying new decks, playtesting, and traveling.  It's not an easy life, and it's far from lucrative (not counting writing or endorsement deals, your average 5 people working at Wal-Mart likely make more in a year than any 5 Pros).  Pros matter though to the continued visibility of the game.  They matter to new fans, who need someone to look up to.  And they matter to events, where their rumored and/or guaranteed attendance surely draws in some players that may be on the fence about going themselves.  People do jump at the chance to meet LSV or get a playmat signed by Reid.  So while some may make fun of Pros, look to 2014 as a year WotC and TO's will spend more time figuring out how to make Pro Magic players happy.  If you love Magic as much as I do, put on your big boy pants and move away from worrying about what they are complaining about in a given week.  If they have a valid point (and most of the time they do), don't knock them.  I'm not saying don't test them by arguing them.  After all, the best way to find the holes in an argument is to poke at it.  I'm just suggesting that you step back and realize, as a participant in the process, that they often have a point that is worth consideration, even if we don't get it from our perspective.  They do a tremendous amount for the game as ambassadors and deserve if not your respect, then at least your tolerance.

Increased Visibility and Acceptance
There are two organizations in the community which now receive insufficient attention from fans - and I believe that 2014 will be the year that changes for the better.  The Lady Planeswalkers Society (Facebook page) believes in creating, "A welcoming, friendly environment for women to learn & play Magic: the Gathering!" Led by Tifa Robles, the LPS has had some growth during the past year, but I'm sure they'd like more. Tifa recently left her job at WotC with an intent to give greater attention to her love of promoting Magic through her group.  It's my hope that the LPS will aggressively develop new markets - every major metropolitan area should have their own chapter of the Society - as well as promote their message at major GPs.  The other group that is I think is on the cusp of a real watershed moment is Planeswalkers for Diversity.  Created by Trevor Murdock, their mission is as follows, "This group was created to facilitate networking and sharing of ideas between Magic Players who are interested in creating a safe environment for people to play the best game on earth regardless of their gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, age, or anything else that has nothing to do with it."  In a nutshell, I think that Trevor's vision is that Judges will never have to be called on to make Unsportsmanlike Conduct calls, but more than that Trevor sees Magic the Gathering as a chance to create a perfect microcosm of society - one where no one ever has to worry about who they are or what other people may think of them when they sit down to their match.

My Personal Magic 2014 Wishlist
  • Develop a winning record at Limited Draft
  • Meet great people - my shortlist includes Erin Campbell, any of the Judgecast Judges, LSV & more
  • Become an L1
  • Find a home as a writer
  • Eternal Weekend comes back to Philadelphia in the fall
  • Both of the LGS's I use have a banner year in Magic
  • Helene Bergeot doesn't ever leave WotC
  • Use more pictures in my articles - everyone likes card art and kids playing Magic
  • Design and complete a special project to help others learn Magic (I have SUCH the idea...)
  • That I get every [REDACTED] to [REDACTED] with me next year (Spoilers!)
  • Increase my reach via Social Media
  • Get to play hundreds of games with my friends and Jacob
  • And that everyone that plays Magic has an even better year than I hope to have.
With that, I leave you until 2014.


Magic Blessing
May you always have mana a plenty,
May all your spells resolve,
May you topdeck every card you want,
May you find a way to win against all odds,
And until we meet again friend,
May you play with intelligence, honesty, and grace.



~And Jim, wherever you are when you read this, thank you.

_______________________

Reblogs, Retweets, & Mentions of all kinds are appreciated - as an independent writer I'm only read when others like what they see and share with their friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment